Natural Support for Men’s Reproductive Health & Male Fertility in Melbourne
- Home /
- Natural Support for Men’s Reproductive Health & Male Fertility in Melbourne
It’s important not to forget about a man’s impact on making healthy babies. Men are 50% of the equation when it comes to creating a healthy baby. Many times, I’ve spent several months and sometimes years sorting out the female’s health and fertility, only to find that there are issues with men’s reproductive health. That’s why I encourage both partners to be involved in the preconception journey, as it’s a great opportunity to have a comprehensive health check-up. Many ‘blokes’ only see a health professional when they are on death’s door, so being proactive in this way has lots of benefits that could include feeling more energetic, healthier, happier, less stressed and perhaps a few kilograms lighter!
In the scheme of things, having a sperm test is one of the least invasive tests offered that takes a look at male fertility in Melbourne. The results include:
1. Toxins: Smoking – Sperm is 13-17% less than non-smokers; risk of miscarriage and birth defects in the offspring may be higher (1).
Chronic alcohol intake – This may have a detrimental effect on count and quality (1)
2. Advanced Paternal Age: Men over 35 year have declining semen volume, morphology, count and increased DNA fragmentation. Advanced age is associated with lower pregnancy rates and increased miscarriage risk (1).
3. Genital heat stress: Long distance cycling is associated with increased testicular heat, subsequent oxidative stress, and suppressed semen parameters.
4. Unhealthy Diet: Full fat dairy, processed meat (think salami and mortadella), alcohol, excessive coffee and soft drinks found suppressed semen parameters (1)
During our preconception workup, we organise pathology tests privately or through your GP to check men’s health in Melbourne by testing relevant nutrient levels (Vitamin D, B12, Zinc, folate), markers of inflammation, and screen for thyroid, liver and cardiovascular health. We also offer in-house tests including body parameters (like muscle and fat percentages), oxidative stress testing, and live blood assessments. We also offer send-off tests like hair tissue mineral analyses to screen for heavy metals, allergy tests, genetic testing, gut health or extensive hormone tests, depending on your need. Contact us for more details about tests that may help identify issues with men’s reproductive health.
Most of our male partners seeking support for male fertility in Melbourne receive quality male prenatal multi and omega 3 supplements plus whatever else is needed, depending on their requirement. There is some great recent research utilising L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine in a 2:1 ratio that may improve sperm motility and function and improve conception outcomes. We are excited about a newly released product where these amino acids, in the correct ratio, are combined with some targeted antioxidants. This is available in a once a day powder from our Melbourne clinic.
Joe (36 years old) and Meredith (30 years old) had been married for 4 years and had been trying to conceive for almost 18 months with no luck. When they sought professional help, they found that Joe’s sperm analysis showed low motility and low count, and the advice was that IVF was their only option. They completed 2 cycles of IVF with no results, then found Doreen a Natural Fertility Expert and came to me to prepare for another round. I explained that sperm takes around 90-120 days to form, and suggested they hold off for a few months and focus on their overall health while we worked on improving the sperm, and recheck the sperm in 3 months’ time to see if there was any improvement before doing another IVF cycle. Meredith’s cycles were regular with good fertile mucus, and we focused on her dropping 4-5kg to get Meredith into a healthy BMI range for conception. The treatment program started with a gentle ‘Detox’ that assists with clearing accumulated toxins, thorough testing and targeted supplementation. After 4 months, the repeat sperm count showed an incredible improvement – both the count and motility had improved so much it was within the normal range! They were thrilled that their hard work had paid off. They decided to try ‘naturally’ for a few more months before returning to IVF. They conceived within 3 cycles and went on to have a healthy baby boy!
If you are not already our client, call one of our fertility experts at an appointment at Melbourne Natural Medicine Clinic. We can get your partner on track with men’s reproductive health to support your fertility journey. Call us on (03) 9686 2566 or email the clinic at email@example.com.
1. Ahmadi S, Bashiri R, Ghadiri-Anari A, Nadjarzadeh A. Evidence based review Antioxidant supplements and semen parameters: An evidence based review Sedigheh AhmadiP 1. Int J Reprod BioMed. 2016;14(12):729-736.
2. Sansone A, Gandini L, Lombardo F. Carnitine in Male Infertility. Trends Androl Sex Med. 2017:35-41. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-41749-3
3. Lenzi A, Sgrò P, Salacone P, et al. A placebo-controlled double-blind randomized trial of the use of combined L-carnitine and L-acetyl-carnitine treatment in men with asthenozoospermia. Fertil Steril. 2004;81(6):1578-1584. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2003.10.034
4. Balercia G, Regoli F, Armeni T, Koverech A, Mantero F, Boscaro M. Placebo-controlled double-blind randomized trial on the use of L-carnitine, L-acetylcarnitine, or combined L-carnitine and L-acetylcarnitine in men with idiopathic asthenozoospermia. Fertil Steril. 2005;84(3):662-671. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.03.064