This is a true and tested soup recipe that everyone will love. Especially coming into cooler months.
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes/red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups broccoli stems removed and finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth
- 2 cups milk (or milk alternative)
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups diced chicken breast
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
Sauté the onion, celery, carrot, chicken and broccoli stalks in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant and just starting to brown (this takes around 10 minutes).
Add the garlic, bay leaf and herbs and sauté for another minute before adding the chicken stock, milk and cornflour mixture.
Bring to a simmer then add the broccoli florets
Allow to cook for 15 minutes then season with salt, pepper and lemon (optional).