- 1 cup sugar free dark chocolate chips (we like the Well Naturally brand)
- 1/2 cup natural nut butter (any nuts, or combination of nuts are great for this recipe – check out our Almond, Sunflower and Chia Butter recipe here)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 1/2 cups flaked or rolled whole grains*
- pinch of mineral salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- vanilla (optional)
*This is where you can get really creative. There are a lot of different rolled grain or pseudo grain varieties on the market now. You can keep it simple with traditional oats, or add some variety with one or a mixture of these options, rolled barley, spelt, quinoa, or even puffed buckwheat, millet, and amaranth.
** if you recipe gluten free, choose pseudo grains that are gluten-free (see our useful food guide here)
- Place a sauce pan on the stove and on a medium low heat. Add chocolate chips, nut butter and coconut oil. Stirring constantly until all melted.
- Take the pan off the heat stir in salt, cinnamon and vanilla (if using) and the rolled or puffed grains. Stir until well combined.
- Grease and line a 9 X 9 pan and pour in the mixture. Smooth and flatten with a spatula. Place in the fridge for at least 30 min to 1 hour to harden. Cut into squares.
- Leftovers can be stored in airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
This is a great recipe for the kids lunch boxes and afternoon snacks.