This mushroom, sage and kale carbonara is comfort food at its best. A special thanks to Gail from Active Ageing in Australia for this recipe.
- 400g of spaghetti, linguine or fettuccine (gluten free or your chosen preference)
- 400g mixed mushrooms (field, brown or any you wish) finely sliced
- handful of fresh sage leaves
- 2 handfuls of finely shredded kale
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 eschalots, finely chopped
- 30g butter
- 2 tblsp macadamia oil (or olive oil)
- 2 free range eggs, plus one yolk, beaten
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a pot of salted water and bring to the boil. Get all of your other ingredients ready, then add pasta to boiling water and book as per packet directions.
- In a fry-pan melt butter with oil over medium heat. Add eschalot and cook until soft, about 5mins. Add garlic to this, then add mushrooms, kale and sage. Cook until golden and soft, approx. 4mins.
- Meanwhile once the pasta is cooked and take it off the heat and drain it well. Return the pasta to its pan and while pasta is still hot, stir through eggs, making sure pasta is well coated. Quickly add mushroom mixture and kale mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with cheese.
- Serve in your loveliest bowls and enjoy (slurping up all the sauce is the best part of this dish).
We’d love to see your creations so if you post a picture of your delicious meal on social media don’t forget to tag us or use the hashtag #mnmclinic
This is another creation from Gail, Angela’s Mum. Thanks Gail!