Sweet Potato and Kale Chili
A winter warming vegetarian chilli, packed with delicious flavours and healthy ingredients!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper , (Optional – for extra heat)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 400 g tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- Salt & pepper, , to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the sweet potatoes, onion and garlic. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until the veg has softened slightly.
- Stir in the chili, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and cumin and cook for a futher couple of minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and chopped tomatoes, stir to coat the vegetables thoroughly then simmer gently for 30-35 minutes. Add a little water if it becomes too thick.
- At the last minute, add the kale. Don’t over cook it, just let it wilt slightly so it retains colour and texture.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy with some brown rice.